When I first went vegan I had trouble figuring out what to buy at the grocery store. But after being vegan for a year and three months. (Vegetarian for two years and eight months. Including vegan.)
Went to the store before this quarter. Since my brother had a rental car when he was visiting I used that to my advantage and actually got a lot of food. Here’s a list of the things that I bought. I would need to get drinks and fruit over the course of the quarter but hopefully not any stable foods.
- Frozen fruit: Really good for smoothies, to put on cereal, or to just eat. And they don’t go bad.
- Frozen vegetables: I found that the microwavable frozen vegetables are a real time saver.
- Gardein Chicken Strips: Funny story. Two days ago I was making some to put in spaghetti (a great combo) and my roommate walked in. She saw it on the counter and said, “Chicken strips!? Oh wait meat free. I was so confused for a second.”
- Amy’s Kitchen Enchilada with Brown Rice: Amy’s Kitchen has some really good vegan products. They even put vegan before the ingredient list.
- Orange juice
- Cashew Milk
- Green Peppers
- Big bag of lettuce
- Two bags of apples: Honey Crisp and Granny Smith.
- Mini corn tortillas
- Red Potatoes
- Cans of low sodium black beans
- Cans of garbanzo beans
- Brown Rice
- 2 containers of whole grain pasta
- 2 containers of pasta sauce
- Chips and Salsa
- Life Cereal
- Mixed nuts
- Dried cranberries
- Water bottles